Tag Archives: fiber glass
Manufacturing a product to withstand the environmental stresses of wind, rain, and sediment is challenging enough. But, when you add saltwater and wave action to the mix, the detrimental threat of corrosion increases significantly.
Anti-corrosive or anti-fouling coatings and protective paints serve to protect ships against those environmental threats.
But, the coating or paint is only as strong as its adhesive quality. If the adhesion fails, the coating or paint chips and the ship becomes vulnerable to corrosion. Failures in the field can be both costly and dangerous.
Ensuring quality adhesion is the key to guaranteeing successful protection. But, how can quality adhesion be achieved?
The utilization of composites increases daily in manufacturing as more ways in which to use this advanced material are discovered. Composite is a smart material that provides a lighter weight and stronger product. This advanced material is being used in many different industries, from consumer products like bicycle frames to airplanes. Yet, because the strength is held in the fibrous matrix of the material, composites must be adhesively bonded together as traditional mechanical fasteners can break the fibers and compromise the material’s integrity.
To guarantee these bonds, BTG Labs’ Surface Analyst™ precisely, accurately, and quantifiably measures the surface’s readiness to bond. BTG Labs’ experience in the field of composites reaches back to the genesis of the Surface Analyst when the USAF turned to the company to engineer a hand-held surface energy measurement device for composite bonding of aircraft. Since then, the Surface Analyst’s composite applications continue to increase and span into many more industries.
Surface Analyst Applications Examples for Bonding, Coating, Sealing, and Painting Composites
- Aerospace: satellites, aircraft, and spacecraft
- Sports and Recreation: sporting equipment
- Automotive: structural components, drive shafts, interior parts
- Medical Device: prosthetics, repair equipment, tubing
- Marine: structural frames and components, fiber glass applications
- Renewable energy: wind turbines, fuel cells, marine turbines, power transmissions, solar panels
- Construction: architectural, fiberglass, bridges, infrastructure, housing, refurbishing